Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 8 (Tuesday 5/19) Dickinson ND to Three Forks MT



We took advantage of the tub at the Super 8 to give my sidekick a bath.  He didn't seem to mind, I guess since he had been itching so much.  That and a fresh dose of flea medicine seems to have cut down on his scratching.  


Today was basically a shot straight over on I-94 then I-90 across Montana.  Very big state, without a lot to mention.  We did experience our second bird strike of the trip.  So much for "do no harm."  Very windy but otherwise a pretty nice drive.  





To make up for the thoroughly boring drive, I thought we'd liven things up with our lodging tonight.  I had seen online that some of the State Parks in Montana rented tipis, and Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park was one of them.  Apparently I'm the first one to ask about this in a while because when I called the woman I spoke with had to consult with someone else.  When I arrived, though, there was one tipi set up at the base of the field.  It was very windy so we observed it for a while before taking occupancy but it seemed very stable.  Had dinner, watched a bird attack the side mirror of the Jeep, and took a few slow strolls around the campsite while we watched the sun go down.  Got some great pictures of Max (top).




This would have been a great place to watch the stars but it gets dark so late out that we were both asleep before it got completely dark.  It was a little interesting being out in a tipi after seeing signs about rattlesnakes at the rest areas, and of course we were in bear country now so we made sure to put anything remotely food scented in the Jeep, but all we were visited by was the little field mice that seemed to have a ball running around between the two layers of canvas of tipi.


Oh, the drive into the state park from I-90 was pretty dramatic.  It was only on the opposite side of the hill/mountain facing the interstate, but was very different.  This was a very tight valley with a river, a railroad track, and the road crammed in between two very high vertical cliffs.  


No comments:

Post a Comment