Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 7 (Monday 5/18) Hill City SD to Dickinson ND




Woke up and took Max for a walk on the trail.  We came upon some horses and he started running towards them and - notice his red leash handle in the photo - he pulled away from me.  Fortunately if I yell his name with the right amount of panic in my voice he usually stops immediately and sits down.  When we got back by the cabin, I think Max achieved some level of Nirvana when he had a combo roll / sunbath / belly rub / nap all in a few seconds.  


Then I took a 3-mile run the other way, which was downhill first, then up.  Not nearly as enjoyable this way, and I think the incline was steeper on this side of camp.  Talked to a lady in an RV who had checked in right after me.  She asked about the Georgia plates and said that they had a house near Atlanta, but were on the road in their RV full time now.  Her, her husband, a small daughter, and two German Shepherds.  Very nice.  




Loaded up and hit the road, bound for North Dakota.  Had to add some antifreeze to the Jeep, but that is not unusual.  Today was classic rock day.  I have yet to find anything that compliments a drive so well as classic rock, and the Rolling Stones were right on today.  There are some VERY long stretches of nothing out in the Dakotas, which does not make for an interesting story (or drive), other than how remarkable it is that it is so sparsely populated.  We did run out of road at one point.  I guess they were redoing a section of SD-20 and the pavement ended and we were on gravel/dirt/mud for about 10 miles.  





The Enchanted Highway: Not as cool as CarHenge, and way farther out of the way, so I don't know that I can say it was worth it (basically like a complete day's detour, not that we're on a tight schedule or anything).  I'm glad I saw it.  I'm also glad Max peed on one of them.  And I have no desire to see it ever again.  Supposedly they are the biggest metal sculptures in the world, but aren't the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower "metal sculptures"?  The last one, Geese in Flight, is right where the Enchanted Highway intersects I-94, which marked the farthest NorthEast we'll go on this trip.  




West a little ways to Dickinson, North Dakota, which is the rough, rugged, industrial kind of place that I picture in my head when I think of places like North Dakota or Montana.  Lack of interesting or unique pet-friendly accommodations, and a fairly cold night with a strong wind, led us to an unremarkable Super-8 hotel.  We did find a little walking trail that led us by a softball game with some pretty good plays being made, but the whole area looks haggard, like it just dug out from a really brutal winter (which I'm sure they had).

No comments:

Post a Comment